Pike County was named for Zebulon Montgomery Pike, discoverer of Pike's Peak and a general who was later killed in the War of 1812. At one time Pike County was a part of Bucks County, one of the original counties created by William Penn in 1682. Over the next 150 years Bucks County was broken down forming other counties. In 1752 Northhampton was formed. Wayne County later separated from Northerhampton in 1798, and on March 26, 1814 Pike separated from Wayne County. In 1815 the the newly formed county constructed original Courthouse. Sixty years later, in 1874, the present Courthouse was completed. On April 1, 1836, a portion of Pike County was cut off to form part of Monroe County. Today Pike County includes Milford, Dingmans, Delaware, Lehman, Porter, Palmyra, Blooming Grove, Westfall, Lackawaxen, and Shohola Townships and the Boros of the Milford and Matamoras.